HOME   |   RV Transition Training   |   Private Pilot   |   Commercial Pilot   | About RVCFI.com

After becoming a private pilot, if you're fortunate, you will run into folks that fly these homebuilt aircraft called "RV's".  You will quickly find why the pilots of such aircraft become fanatics.  They are arguably the best handling and some of the most fun aircraft a person can own.  Owning an aircraft does require an initial investment, but it is actually far more affordable than most people would believe.  You can own a small family airplane for about the same cost as a regular family car these days, and insurance is about the same for many people as such a car costs. Partner up with another pilot and it becomes downright easily affordable to own and maintain an airplane.  I am a big proponent of aircraft ownership, and although I am a die-hard RV owner, I actually recommend that a new pilot look for a good certified aircraft such as a Beechcraft Musketeer/Sundowner, Cessna 172/177, or Piper Cherokee/Warrior for a first aircraft.  You can buy one, own it for a few years, and as long as you hangar it and take care of it, you will likely get most of your initial purchase investment back out of it when you sell it.  Somewhere along the way though, you will run into an RV pilot and perhaps take a flight, that will leave you blown away.  You will find out that RV's can be more afford-ably maintained, more efficiently flown, and can take you further and faster than many other aircraft for your dollar, while giving you a much more sweet handling feel.  If you're like me, you will finally make the decision to build such an aircraft, so that you yourself can be the "maintainer" of said plane. It gives you tremendous freedom.

But as you complete your RV, or purchase one, you, and your future insurance company, will want to protect your investment.  RV's are slick and in some cases more powerful than your ordinary every day trainer, and a pilot should be prepared for such an airplane.  In fact, most insurance companies will demand a few hours of transition training before insuring your airplane with you as the pilot.  While this sounds like a burden, most pilots find transition training is the best money they spend on their airplane.  It allows them to comfortably and safely fly their first flights with the aircraft.

What about building your own airplane in order to learn to fly?  Actually, I do no generally recommend this path.  First of all, there are many choices made during the build of an aircraft that would be best made by a pilot who understands the function and use of all things. And if a pilot plans to build an IFR capable aircraft, I also suggest that the pilot first obtain an instrument rating before they build the instrument panel of their aircraft.  Doing so will better prepare them for the design decisions they will make during the build.  The RV's will also likely require a slightly longer training period than your typical training aircraft, simply due to the fact that with their superior acceleration and climb, and slicker, less decelerating aerodynamics, things just happen faster during the trip around the airport traffic pattern.  That said, the RV-9, RV-10, RV-12, and RV-14 model aircraft are all fairly docile and easy to fly, and they are certainly capable of being used as training aircraft.  One of my purposes for even building an RV-14 was to use it as a trainer for my family, and it is working out well for that purpose.  Just be aware that the insurance rates for a student or very new pilot on these aircraft will be much higher than the rates on an experienced pilot...the RV-10 in particular will likely cost easily $2000/yr additional.  I believe most pilots would be well suited to buy or become partners in a nice certified trainer aircraft and fly at least 100 hours, if possible, before launching their RV project.  Ideally obtaining their instrument rating before finishing their RV as well.

I presently offer transition training in yours or my RV-14 , or YOUR RV-10 if you have one.  I have a Letter of Authorization from the FAA (LODA) permitting me to provide transition training for hire in my RV-14 (N14YT) but not my RV-10 at this time.  This was done in order to easier provide transition training to RV-14 builders, as there will be a large need for such training over the next few years.  I have not applied for such a letter for my RV-10 because there are other places offering transition training in the RV-10.  I will, however, offer transition training in YOUR aircraft if you need.  With training and proper pilot risk management and safety we hope to keep the RV-10/RV-14 safety record as excellent as it currently is.